Gender Equality and Peace Building - CIDA
Back to Projects
|01. Name of Project
|02. District Operation
|03. Divisional Secretariat Divisions
||Kalmunai, Karativu, Nintavur, Addalaichenai, Navithanveli, Sammanthurai, Sainthamaruthu, Uhana, Ampara.
||Sammanthurai, Ninthavur, Oluvil, Addalaichanai, Sainthamaruthu, Irakkamam, Ohana, Rajakalathanna, Veeragoda, Hingurana, Deegavapi, Polvattai, Central camp, Addapallam, Periyaneelavanai, Pandiruppu, Veeramai, Karaithivu
|05. Implementing Partner
||GAFSO (Group Action for Social Order.)
|06. Funded by
||CIDA – Canadian International Development Agency.
12, Amarasekara Mawatte, Colombo 5
|07. Period/Date Commenced/Completed
|08. Number of beneficiaries
||540 educated women directly and the entire women in the nine D/S
|09. Number of Officers engaged
||8 and 18 Volunteers.
- Formation of 18 Women Councils 6 in each of the three ethnic groups to realize gender equality, rights of women and creation of inter-communal understanding and peace. .
- Build peace among the three communities through the interaction of the Women Councils among the three communities.
- Organize frequent visits and dialogues among the WC of all three communities to work jointly to achieve gender equality
- Form a apex body of the the 18 Women Councils to coordinate activities for mutual benefit.
- Form sub committees of W.C. to enhance education, health and self employment facilities among the rural youths and lasses.
- Conduct monthly seminars and meetings to educate the rural women on the rights women, legal aids in case of domestic violence,
- Organize and celebrate international commemoration days
- Interact frequently with the Women Councils among other two communities to create understanding and harmony
- Grant revolving fund for poor women recommended by the Women Councils to develop self employment.
Back to Projects